June, For Me
- 💜 For Inspiring Figures this month, I spoke to the amazing Paula Melissa who shared her journey of becoming a content creator as well as tips for those who want to get started. You can catch up with our conversation here.
- 📝 On the blog, I wrote about Black Lives Matter, my workout gear collection, my collab with Learn To Code With Me and how I rebuilt PaulineNarvas.com using Next.js and Vercel.
- 🛠 Rebuilt my portfolio, it’s so snazzy now!
- 💖 Collab with Estrid – more on that in my favourites section.
- ✊🏻 I’ve spent a lot of time educating myself on racism. I’ve experienced racism throughout my life, but never to the degree black folks have. I’m still taking the time to better improve my understanding and find ways to be a better ally!
- 🙅🏻♀️ Said no to cancel culture in light of Jenna Marbles leaving YouTube
- 🤯 Overall, became a lot more “woke”
- 😷 I just want to unlock my phone with FaceID… 😂
Can’t unlock my iPhone with FaceID cos 😷 pic.twitter.com/gBaD9Y6sVH— Pauline P. Narvas (@paulienuh) June 25, 2020
- 📦 Matt and I moved to our third apartment together! It’s the best one yet 😊
- 🎂 I took a week off to move but also celebrate my 24th birthday!
- 💪🏼 I also took a week off training this month. My body needed it.
- ☀️ I’ve enjoyed the sunnier weather! Summer is here 😎
- 🎤 I spoke at YouGotThis Conf at the start of the month. Although I experienced some technical issues at the start, I got there in the end! I enjoyed the whole conference too, it was the first online one that I had attended.
- 💻 I’ve spent a lot of time this month thinking about my career. It’s been a positive learning experience and reflective exercise!
3 Things that made me happy
1) Improving my general awareness
I’m happy that I’ve been able to spend some quality time reflecting on my own privllege, thinking of ways to become a better ally and generally educating myself on the roots of racism. I’m optimistic and believe that we are making steps towards a better world for all. ✊🏻
2020 has been tough, sure. But we’re all so much more woke.
Matt and I finally moved to our new apartment.
We hadn’t actually planned to move out of our old place (I imagined us staying there for a bit longer!) but it became apparent that it just wasn’t right for us anymore. Plus, there were better options out there!
We’re both so happy with our new place, it’s definitley an upgrade from our last. The main improvement: we have a balcony which has already changed our lives (especially on sunny days!)
It’s also been nice just to have a bit of a change in scenery especially since this lockdown. It’s sort of felt like we’ve gone on holiday 😂
3) Turning 24
I had my special birthday this year – turning 24 on the 24th 🎈
Although I couldn’t spend it with my family as I had planned and I was just at home, it was a fun day anyway 😊 Matt got me cake, a 12 month subscription to Bloom & Wild and I was busy catching up with friends and family.
The weather was gorgeous too! We had a heatwave (30 degree weather) so that was all enough to put me in a GREAT mood as I got a year older.
(Despite initally having a bit of a crisis)
June in Photos
- 🧖🏻♀️ Estrid kindly gifted me one of their female-first razors to try. I’ve been using it for the whole month, and can’t believe that I hadn’t tried it sooner!
I’ve never had a better experience than with my new pink Estrid razor, it’s one of the best in the market that’s for sure. If you’re looking for a smoother shaving experience that is made for women, then check Estrid out.
Learn more about how it works here.
- 🎬 For films this month, Matt and I have been mostly re-watching some of our favourites: Harry Potter, High School Musical (my favourite lol) and Marvel (from the top!)
- 📺 Continued to watch The Simpsons and New Girl – honestly a great way to relax for me. 😆
- 📚 Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge. Such an insightful read, highly recommend.
- 🏡 I’ve bought so much stuff that we just had as part of our old apartment but not in our new one.
Things like: grass for our balcony (honestly the best on sunny days!), a 55inch TV (so extra), Philips Hue Bulbs (OK, this wasn’t necessary but hey-ho 😂) and more organisational bits and bobs! I think I’ll probably write a seperate blog post on organising because that topic deserves a whole series of posts. 😛
Quote of the month
- 💻 More heads down work about the next steps in my career!