It’s June tomorrow – which means we’re almost halfway through the year, how crazy is that? May has been a pretty busy month, but one of the most exciting so far!
- 💼 I updated my CV, sent it off, was invited for an interview and then offered more amazing experience! Not only that, but I also received invaluable feedback which to me is the most important part of the application process. Always make use of feedback – it’s essential for growth!
- 💻 I’ve had some great networking opportunities this month which led to further offers to explore the tech industry – super thankful!
- 🔬 I joined the MedTech Sheffield group as their new Tech Lead and COO. I’ll be helping them organise their hackathon Spring next year and other events that aim to bring people from different backgrounds together to help solve healthcare and medical problems.
- 💃🏻 Celebrated Hamdah’s 21st birthday in style
- 🎉 Celebrated HackSheffield’s win with Matt and the rest of the HS crew. Thank you for inviting me (any excuses to dress up makes me happy!) 💖
- ☕ Awesome meetings and catch-ups with a bunch of great people (at awesome places!)
- 👔 Getting lots of work done during my placement. I have less than 3 months left – I can’t believe it!
- 💪🏼 Hitting fitness goals every week
- 👩🏻💻 I started learning Ruby on Rails – I’ve tried to set an hour every day – it’s empowering! Coding is a superpower. 👊🏼
- 💜 I’m a part of some awesome projects – more information to follow ~ I am extremely thankful once again for the opportunities!
- 💌 I received a postcard from the lovely Tara
- ✈ I’M GOING TO NEW YORK. NOT SURE IF I MENTIONED IT YET. BUT I’M GOING TO NEW YORK. I KNOW, CRAZY, RIGHT?!
Things I’m HAPPY about
Meeting new people, positive communities and awesome friends
I met some pretty cool people in May.
Borja was one of them. A Computer Science student, interested in cyber security who can also speak Chinese (multi-talented or what?) I’ve enjoyed learning about cyber security from him – more I’d probably ever learn by just reading about it. He also writes blog posts and doesn’t tweet enough. You can also call him Percival because he’s cool like that.
I mentioned in my previous post that I organised a gathering with fellow CF: G instructors. Whenever I don’t see them for a while, I was reminded once again of how strong the community we’ve built together in Sheffield is. The passion for tech and inclusion from them is empowering. I am so proud to be a part of it!
And I could talk to you all about Hamdah – how amazing she is, how she motivates me, how happy she makes me…
My anxiety got me really bad at times this month and although meditation and exercise consistently have helped, sometimes it got to the point I was stuck in a circle of negative thoughts. With a little longer and more frequent self-care remedies, I am proud and happy to say that I managed to snap out of it – something I wouldn’t have been able to do before. I’m a lot more in control of myself and I love it. When I compare to how I was last year or in the past in general, I’ve made such a big improvement – healing one step at a time.
The people I’m surrounded by have made this process easier, thank you 💖
In contrast to last month, I have made such a huge improvement in my fitness routine and hitting my goals of working out 6 times a week (this had started turning into 4/5 sometimes 3 last month!) I’ve felt a fresh wave of motivation since seeing more frequent body positivity posts, reading Georgie’s recent post on her fitness journey, bonding with fellow fitness gals at the gym, and of course, buying new Gymshark clothes (oops!)
I posted this on Instagram a few weeks ago about my food choices, mindset, and chase for perfection. The bottom line is: don’t be so hard on yourself for eating a cupcake. You’re still amazing.
If you follow me on Twitter, you’d know that I was attacked by someone on Instagram because of the workout selfies I post every morning. I admit I was a little upset by it at first but I’ve loads support since – thank you to everyone who sent me a sweet message, I really appreciate it! The messages I was receiving has motivated me to keep on going with my fitness grind.
I love sharing my progress, not only to keep accountable but to motivate others too. I’m exhilarated when I know I’ve helped someone else start or continue! Let’s continue to support each other. 💪🏼
May in pictures
I never thought I’d be writing about a series because I don’t watch much, in fact, the last I saw was probably Friends. 😅 After much persuasion from Matt, I started watching Silicon Valley and now I’m hooked. 🤣
I didn’t use to like Greek Yogurt (the one I have is by FAGE) but now I always take one to the office, I have it by itself or with berries (yuuuuum!)
Empowered females empowering other females? Yes, please.
I’ve found a new addiction – mind mapping my whole life. During one of my lunch breaks, I mapped out my University experience on MindNode. It’s awesome to see an overview of everything and creating links!
— Pauline P. Narvas (@paulienuh) May 19, 2017
- Keep up with the routine! ✏💭💪🏼
- Stay on top of work before leaving to NYC
- Ballin’ again – why do I love dressing up so much?
- I’m meeting Chynna and Mutay in London after years, I’m telling you, YEARS of following each other on social media and reading each other’s blogs. I can’t wait, expect an even bubblier version of me that day!
- I’m also meeting the one, the only Micah on the same day. Micah has been one of the biggest supporters over the past few months and has been an inspiration for years. I admire her drive in her career, her studies and her hustle so much. 👊🏼
- I’m going to New York, the city I’ve always dreamt about going to. I didn’t think I would ever go in my 20’s but I’m making it happen. Excited? Yes, OMG. Scared? No doubt. Excitement and eager to experience the US > fear? Absolutely. Bring it onnnnnn! ✨
- I’ll be turning 21 on the 24th. In NYC. *emotional mess*
QUOTE OF THE MONTH
Discover what ignites your passion, that’s your real job here on earth, let it light you up and then find a way to share that with other people.
Posted under: Awards & Achievements, Month, For Me, University, Work