June, For Me
- 🔥 There were heatwaves up and down the country!
- 🏖 Matt and I went on our “relaxing” trip away to Málaga, blog post coming soon~
- 🎥 I documented the trip and published a video summary. I’m pretty proud of the editing and shots (especially the ones taken on the GoPro!)
- 🎂 I turned 22 this month and celebrated with my family. I also wrote a post outlining my achievements being 21 and goals for 22!
- 🏡 By the time this post is published, I’ll be on my way to Leeds for the move! I’m excited/nervous about the new chapter ahead.
- 👩🏻💻 I ran a giveaway on Instagram in collaboration with Project Prep to help retain girls interest into STEM.
- 👭 My local Women in Tech community launched their first event this month, it was great to see it go from an idea to a promising meet-up! Although I won’t be around in Sheffield much, it was fun attending the event to meet other women interested in and curious about careers in technology or already working in technology. ✨
- 💻 Contributed to an article about improving companies inclusion and diversity.
UNIVERSITY, WORK AND PROJECTS
- 📚 I completed my degree!!
- 💫 I spoke at a conference at the University of Sheffield about development from experience, specifically talking about my placement year.
- 🙌🏼 I got involved in a video about development from experience specifically talking about extra-curricular activities (e.g. Hi, Code First: Girls!)
- 💛 I completed my University part-time job – it’s been fun!
- ☕ I attended my first blogger event at 200 degrees in Sheffield with digital marketer, Shelia.
- 🤳 I published my first IGTV video on how I edit my Instagram photos (a FAQ!)
- 🎙🎥✏ This month’s “Inspiring Figures” post featured Naomi Thomas – girl boss entrepreneur. In addition to a write-up of her interview, I decided to switch it up a bit by using Instagram live and creating catch up media via Soundcloud and YouTube. Check it out!
3 things I’m happy about
Because of all these things.
2️⃣Going for things even when they’re difficult
I’m happy that…
Even though I’m terrified about something or severely doubting myself, I go for it anyway.
Even if I don’t receive constructive feedback or am treated in a less-gracious fashion, I keep going for it anyway.
This has been such a revolutionary mindset shift for me over the years (see blog post on confidence!) An event that happened this month especially has challenged this. I’m proud of myself regardless!
3️⃣Opportunity to travel with Matt
Even though there were so many things that went wrong during our trip, I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to travel to a new place, soak up Vitamin D, spend time with my 💖 and swim in the sea. 🐠
June in Photos
As part of my Project Prep giveaway, I asked people to answer the question, “Why do you think role models are important?” and received some wonderful responses. They are all super #pawsitive and have inspired me to keep contributing to the Women in Tech community where I can! Take a look 💖
For all my favourite items each month, check out my Amazon list! Makin’ it easier for you 😉
I’ve mostly been reading self-development and business books recently, two of my favourites this month have been Gary Vee’s Crushing It and Emma Gannon’s “Multi-Hyphen Method.” They have both inspired me to take control of my online presence and provide value to others where I can and also reminded me that life doesn’t have to be conventional.
You can still succeed without the “set” journey that has been drilled into us e.g. go to school, university, get a job and have kids! You’re in control of every aspect of your life! In addition to this motivation, both books gave great advice and resources for truly understanding and building yourself up in this digital age.
This month, I’ve been catching up with Women Who’s “In Good Company” podcast. My favourite episode so far has been with Emma Gannon – we have similar stories of “growing up online” and our definitions of making the most out of our online presence. Listening to her has been very reassuring and encouraging with all the things I create online and the variety of skills I’ve gained from them!
- Settle in and take it easy 💖
- I will be starting to work full time again (starting Monday!) 👩🏻💼
- Fully move in 🏡
- Code First: Girls Summer Party – excited to see everyone ❤
- Graduation – finally get to throw that hat around 🎓
Quote of the month
This video really motivated me during the more difficult days when I felt overwhelmed – remember who you are!