July, For Me
July has been the month of change… all at once. I’ve been working very hard on adjusting over the last 31 days, and I am pleased to say that a month later, I feel a lot more confident and less overwhelmed by it all. Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- 🏡I moved out of the city I grew up in (I never really thought about ever moving, but the day finally arrived!) into a cute little apartment with Matt. Although I’ve only moved around an hour away, I’ve faced a lot of homesickness and anxiety.
- 👯♀️ After watching Skyscraper in Leeds, I was recognised by a girl that follows me on Instagram. It was awesome meeting her – always love meeting online friends!
- 🎓I graduated from the University of Sheffield with my UG degree in Biomedical Sciences with Employment Experience (finally), it was a wonderful day celebrating achievements over the last 4 years. I truly am going to miss my student life (I never thought I’d say that!!)
- 👩🏻💻I started my first out-of-university ‘grad’ job in a Communications role – my first 4 weeks have been a blur – adjusting to full-time job alongside my move was difficult but my colleagues have been very supportive!
- 💻I confirmed the next steps of my career coming up in September, I’m going to work at EE/BT in DevOps!
- 📽Closer to the end of the month, I started getting on top with some freelance work including some video content I’ve been working on. I’ve had the opportunity to create some fantastic videos – I can’t wait to share them!!
- 🌟As part of my post-a-YouTube-video a month goal, I also created a graduation video with some highlights over the year.
- 💜For Inspiring Figures this month, I spoke to Maria Kritikos, founder of Ladies Who Lunch Network about her career journey, her book ‘Girl With A Plan’ and more!!
- 🌎Getting my Pawlean business cards and stickers made then shipping them to people around the world. Nothing compares! 😍
— Pauline P. Narvas (@paulienuh) July 16, 2018
HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- 🔥I’ve switched to a new fitness program created by AJA Cortes – I’m enjoying it so far, it’s been a nice change to GFG.
3 THINGS I’M HAPPY ABOUT
I have never more thankful for my family’s love and support. Earlier this month, I went through the normal homesickness, fear of the unknown and anxiety that I assume most first-year university students must have felt. It was terribly bad, but as everyone has said, “give it time, it will be ok.” And guess what? The world hasn’t fallen apart and this is slowly getting easier. I still do have my moments, but I’m improving and learning so much about my living independently. I’m very grateful for my family for regularly checking up on me and giving me space to grow.
Oh, and you all know how much I talk about Matt… but honestly, it’s his daily fuel that helps me get on with my day and do it well (with all the fire 🔥)
I still can’t believe that I’m officially a graduate now. Looking back at my time in academia dating back from school is surreal.
It feels awesome because it marks a new chapter of my life but also so strange – I’m still not used to answering “no” to the question, “are you a student? so that you can have like 80% off this KitKat?”
I’m thankful for the lessons, resources and tools! Excited to apply, apply, apply to the real world.
3️⃣Others shouting out about me
This month I’ve been blessed with a number of DMs and emails of people getting in touch with me because someone recommended one of my work e.g. in STEM or digital. I feel very fortunate to have curated such a supportive network that only want to see me succeed.
Keep these people close and shout out about them too! ✨
JULY IN PHOTOS
This month I’ve suffered from serious imposter syndrome.
I spent some time in my head somehow convincing myself that I don’t deserve to have had the opportunity to move to a nice apartment, an incredible summer placement and a fantastic opportunity coming up in September. “I’m not even that smart. They’re going to find out.”
I continued to spend the rest of my week in a high-anxiety state. For what? Literally nothing.
The power of the mind, eh?
So this month’s #pawsitivity is what helped during these moments, I’ve mentioned this Twitter thread before but I want to stress how much it helps me! Also, another place has been LinkedIn, I recently received two incredible recommendations from my previous work at The University of Sheffield Enterprise (USE). It’s reminders like these that kick my imposter syndrome’s ass.
Feel free to connect with me, by the way!
Top tip: Ask for recommendations and whenever someone says something nice to you, keep it publicly or privately. It does wonders in those moments.
I’ve recently been watching a lot of movies with Matt to wind down. Here have been my favourites:
- The Incredibles 2 – just… incredible.
- Skyscraper – The Rock’s in it, so it’s pretty awesome.
- Mamma Mia 2 – I got to sing to the soundtrack the whole time, so yes, amazing.
- Harry Potter
- Harry Potter 2
- Harry Potter 3
- Harry Potter 4
Harry Potter. Can we talk about that real quick? I feel like I’ve spent a lifetime reading blogs about it and commenting on how I’ve never seen the movies or read the books and how I don’t really understand the hype. Listen, if you’ve ever received this type of comment from me in the past – DELETE IT because I am a changed woman. 😂I am obsessed, I can’t believe I didn’t jump on the hype when it was THE hype.
Thanks for the push, Matt. 🧙🏼♂️
Although I wanted to put Honne’s new singles here (I urge you to listen to it anyway), this month the songs that I haven’t been able to get out of my head are:
Side note: I want to go to Greece. 🙊
🧚🏻♂️ Adulting stuff(?)
Well, this is a new thing but I need to talk about it… egg cups. I just feel like I’ve been missing out on so much in my life? USEFUL ASF.
Also, this month I’ve been obsessed with these lighters because they’re easier to use than the others and yes I need to geT to OfF mY ChESt and share ok!!! OK? I’m done. 😂
Everything and anything purple.
New food places Matt and I have recently discovered and loved:
- Bar Burrito
- Almost Famous Burger
- Turtle Bay
Next month is a very special one to me because of a number of anniversaries:
- 🎂Pawlean.com turns 4
- 💪🏼 #PawGainz turns 2
- ✨…which all means, I’m 2 years in my healing journey and let me tell you, I have gone SO far.
I’m excited to share all these happy feels I’m feeling right now about these celebrations with y’all next month!
Other things I’m looking forward to:
- Attending my first Leeds meetup with Ladies of Code
- Successful completion of my summer placement!
- Another month of adjusting to my new home