How fast has this month gone!? Whenever I am writing my monthly reflection, I always think this but this has especially been the case with September.
This is almost always the same every year! For the last 4 years, it’s been because of the rush into a new semester but this year it’s different — it is the next chapter of my life; namely… Adulting. 😆
- 🏠Another successful month of settling into my new home in Leeds — time has been my best friend 😄
- 💻I started my new job at BT, in BT Consumer division specifically working with the EE DevOps teams (what a mouthful!)
- 🚂Because of my new job, I’ve had the amazing opportunity to travel around the UK and see more things! This month I went to Ipswich, London and Hatfield.
- 🧙🏼♂️I finally got to go to Platform9 3/4 – it was magical!
- 📱Inline with the hype from work of the iPhone XS Max launch, I upgraded my iPhone 7 Plus and fully embracing that notch life.
- 💖I attended KPMG’s Women in Leadership meet-up in Leeds this month and ended up winning a coaching session because of my tweet!
- 🌟I had a tour of Campus London and visited the Code First: Girls HQ – it was such an honour 🤗
- 🙋🏻♀️My interview with BusinessCloud was published! This was such an incredible opportunity to share my thoughts on how companies can move towards a more inclusive recruitment process.
- 🌟I spoke to the incredible Natalie Franke this month for Inspiring Figures and was left amazed by her continuous work towards her communities.
- 🎥Another one of my video projects with The University of Sheffield was posted — in this one, I talk about how why I vlog and what other students can get out of the coolest part-time job ever!
- 👩🏻💻all in the while… balancing my freelance web development work at the University (remotely)
- 💪🏼…and of course, #PawGainz.
3 things I’m happy about
1️⃣ Working in Tech
This is my first month of working in a) tech and b) a huge company. I’ve really enjoyed my first few weeks, everyone I’ve interacted with across my immediate team and wider business
- Meet senior leaders in the business, including Marc Allera, CEO of BT Consumer
- Travel. A lot. I always love a bit of variety in my routines, so having the opportunity to do some travelling – even though it was only in the UK – was so much fun! Having that taste of work-travel was an experience.
- Speak up on things that matter to me e.g. diversity and inclusion
- Experience the iPhone launch (from the back-end view of the website, instead of consumer view of just buying and expecting it all “just to work”) – there is a lot that goes behind the scenes that I wasn’t aware of in the past.
- Learn about how Networks work, the tech behind such a huge website and Agile process of delivery
- Try out Yoga in the office
2️⃣ IRL Friends
Also, it had been a whole year since David and I first met (also started on Twitter) during the time I was at a Gymshark event – he is now one of my closest friends. Thanks so much for being awesome David! 🤗
3️⃣ True “Health”
Because of all my work travel, I haven’t had a consistent routine with my workouts. Usually, I would beat myself up for missing a day but recently, I’ve shifted my thoughts to flexibility when it comes to health. It’s so much more a better relationship and I’ve felt even more determined to get it done to fit around my schedule – isn’t this what health is all about?
September in Pictures
This happened. 💕
🎥 YouTube channels
- Continuing on with my new obsession with personal finance, I’ve been enjoying watching Phil Town’s Rule #1 Investing. Very informative!
- I recently have been enjoying the tech YouTube space recently from watching MKBHD reviews to using YouTube as a source of learning for my job — I created a playlist of some of my favourite DevOps videos.
This is a rare section of my monthly favourites, but I’ve been enjoying Channel 4’s The Circle, a game that revolves around social media. I’ve found it interesting because it really highlights the importance of how people on social media can curate a perfect life but can be completely fake! There is a player, Alex on the game pretending to be his girlfriend, Kate by catfishing the other players with her photos and his little book with details on things like her makeup. 😂
- Crazy Rich Asians – I could talk about this film for ages but I won’t – that’s a whole separate post. 😉What I will say is to give it a go!
- iPhone XS Max is amazing – I’m really enjoying the new screen compared to my iPhone 7 Plus and of course, Animojis have changed my life. 😆
Quote of the month
- Continue doing my best in the second month of my job in tech!
- Continue staying on top of my finances (doing pretty well recently!)
- Schedule time in for writing and stick to it
- Give Stephanie Buttermore’s Women’s Programme my best shot; focus on strengthening that mind-muscle connection.
- Kicking off Code First: Girls Autumn semester classes next month. This year I’ll be helping out at the Leeds branch at DWP; I’m so excited!
- Meeting Claudine 😍
How was your month? I hope you have a fantastic October ahead! 🙌🏼
Posted under: Month, For Me